Thursday, September 12, 2013

Fipps Pond On September 11'th-A Photographic Record

                                Fipps Pond in Eddington Maine,summer home to the Boy Scouts Camp Roosevelt is during off season a favorite place to walk for many people. My family and I included. Today's visit was about the tenth time that I've been there in many entire life and it remains something of a favorite spot to relax and contemplate existence itself. And I've taken a number of photos here over the years.Often times that sense of tranquility is mainly the proverbial icing on the cake. On today's visit I actually needed that tranquility. And that put everything into a whole other perspective. And as it turned out had a profound effect on the nature of the photographs I took while there today.


          *One of the primary personal missions of this visit to Fipps Pond was an attempt to bring chaos to order. Sitting on the wharf joking around helped some. However the images that popped into my eyes and camera lens seemed to seek a deeper meaning. First,perfectly ordered canoe paddles in bright primary colors. Than a reflection in the water-as if a person's soul was carried away by the tide.


          *Patterns in rushing water,both of the salt and fresh variety,has fascinated me since my very earliest days as a photography. Every time I see water in nature,there are certain givens in terms of the patters. Just to think: from snow run off and other natural conditions the water being photographed here may have been recirculated in and out of Fipps Pond many times over since my first visit. And even so,with all the unique properties of all that lives in the natural world I find that the more the patterns change,the more they stay the same.



           *Contrasts of any sort seemed to be the theme of the day,both mentally and in that natural world in which I walked. For the first time I was able to successfully photograph that golden lace of light that falls across the water when the sun is in just the right position. Of course the next contrast created a pure optical illusion: that of a ladder whose shadow manifested itself to make it resemble a storage self. One wonders how many unexplained things in life are merely our limited field of vision acting for us in an non revealing way.
                          So I end this particular journey to Fipps pond with this. Even though I knew what I saw as I took this photograph,it transformed into something somewhat different on the actual photo. If you don't know what it is,your imagination should always give itself permission to fly free. The assumption of freedom to appreciate art always bares more fruits than the struggle for that freedom. Enjoy what is hear. And if your a photographer with no particular place to go,take a look at the world right around you and allow your imagination to rule the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment