Saturday, August 31, 2013

August 2013: A Photographic Month In Review

             At the end of each month on this blog, I intend to review important photographic events at the end of that period. Its not only a way to keep readers aware of what I've been up to, but also different personal observations on them as well. Of course other special events will be discussed as they happen. But since in this case I am dealing with a newly formed blog,I'll get the ball rolling here with my first month in review. So here it goes:

-On August 20th I realized it had been nearly a decade since I photographed Downtown Bangor. At that time my original Aiptek digital camera was very new. And being the end of GW Bush's second term,there was much graffiti in the then very uncertain downtown era standing against the controversial president.  When I returned this year,all of that had changed without me even realizing it. The town has retaken its more historical air that is one of its finer qualities. Since I obviously had a far superior camera this time around,I was in a far better position to pick up that flavor in these select photos from that session.



                             
                              *I've always liked buildings that utilize two separate colors of mortar. That's one of the things that makes downtown Bangor such an interesting place to photograph.



                              *Once and awhile,it's possible to run into those contrasts of color that the literature we learn from make to look so unreachable in ones own backyard. Yet here it was.

                          *Perhaps it was the generational cynicism of those in my age group that led me to start believing that photographing reflections cheapens the art of photography itself. That may be what some people think,but if the lighting and back round blends just right some amazing things can come from different reflections.

*There was something very European in atmosphere about this triangular pattern of ivy which was growing on the wall in a back alley garden set up near the center of town. 














             
    

*One relic of the GW Bush era attitude I found in the present day was this simple bit of graffiti that appears to actually reflect a present day concern revolving around the ever present oil crisis.

*Viewing upon structures of all sorts from an askew angle has always been my favorite aspect of architectural photography. Its a bit constructionist in the matter of a model builder-which happens to be a hobby of mine.










-After several summers of trying to locate it,my family and I finally managed to locate Nervous Nellies Jams & Jellies in Deer Isle,Maine. There we found a life sized diorama set up to resemble a frontier town-complete with mock blues juke joints,a woodland castle and everything populated by metal and wooden sculptures created by artist/craftsman Peter Beerits. Many separate posts could come from all the different sites to see here. In this case,I chose to select some of my own favorites of Mister Beerits' creations-from one artist to another. Its important to give even implicit support.

        And there you have it! My August month in review. I am hoping that this new blog gets off to a good start here! Enjoy what you see here,comment and ask questions. Positively inquiring people are always welcomed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment