Saturday, February 7, 2015

Ice Harvest At The Curran Homestead

              Last weekend,the curator of the Fields Pond Autobon Center informed us that there was going to be an ice harvest at the nearby Curran Homestead on the first Saturday in February. It's the seventh annual event of this type. And with all the snow we've been getting? The weather was clear today so my mother and myself had the chance to attend. A century ago,most American's received their ice in trucks for ice boxes before refrigeration. That tradition held on a bit longer in the state of Maine.  So this event has become part of the heritage of the state. I actually volunteered,and was successful at sawing off one block of ice myself. So enjoy this intimate look at this winter event!
















































2 comments:

  1. I like seeing kids successfully cutting ice. With the number of people, this was the Curran's most successful ice harvest even if the John Deere didn't cooperate. Thank you for the great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I deeply appreciate your comment on the photos and glad they made an impact on you!

    ReplyDelete